Beginning with our founding in 1983, we have grown very small bulbs (less than 7/8” in diameter) that are used for replanting. These white, red, and yellow “onion sets” can be found at garden and nursery centers. Create the perfect garden with our tips on how to use our onion sets.
Suggestions for Planting and Care:
To produce big onions:
- Select a sunny location.
- Plant in early Spring, as soon as the soil can be worked.
- Mark rows at one foot apart.
- Plant onion sets three inches apart and about one inch deep.
- When the tops fall over, pull onions and allow to dry on top of the soil for several days.
- Remove from garden and store in a cool, dry place.
To produce green or salad onions:
- Plant throughout the spring at two-week intervals.
- Mark rows one foot apart.
- Plant onion sets 2-4 inches deep with the bulbs nearly touching. The deeper you plant, the more of the white portion will be produced.
- Harvest when tops are about 10 inches tall – usually 4-6 weeks after planting.
- Refrigerate green onions to store.